2009 Film Festival - Eugenics: Science Fiction or Future Reality?
Date: November 2009
Location: Filmhouse, 88 Lothian Road, Edinburgh EH3 9BZ [ Map ]
A Biomedical Ethics Film Festival on the topic of Eugenics
Should society create the perfect human race? Is this already happening? Why should parents not seek to have the perfect child?
These are some of the questions which will be asked in this three-day biomedical ethics film festival. At the end of each screening, a discussion will take place between the audience and a panel of invited experts in bioethics, science, law, medicine and politics.
The festival is organised in partnership with: the Scottish Council on Human Bioethics, Filmhouse, the Edinburgh and South-East Scotland Branch of the British Science Association, and the ESRC Genomics Forum at the University of Edinburgh.
In this season
Homo Sapiens 1900
Director: Peter Cohen
Country of origin and year: Sweden 1998
Duration: 88 minutes
Certificate: Rated 18
My Sister's Keeper
Director: Nick Cassavettes
Country of origin and year: USA 2009
Duration: 109 minutes
Certificate: Rated 12A
Director: Andrew Niccol
Country of origin and year: USA 1997
Duration: 102 minutes
Certificate: Rated 15
Cast: Ethan Hawke, Uma Thurman, Jude Law, Alan Arkin, Loren Dean, Gore Vidal.
Who's Afraid of Designer Babies
Country of origin and year: Britain 2005
Duration: 103 minutes
Certificate: Rated PG
- 2018 Film Festival - The Ethics of Creating Transhuman Persons
- 2017 Film Festival - Surrogacy Ethics
- 2016 Film Festival - Capacity to Suffer
- 2015 Film Festival - Biomedical Research Ethics
- 2014 Film Festival - The Moral Status of the Embryo
- 2013 Film Festival - Cyborg Ethics
- 2012 Film Festival - NeuroEthics
- 2011 Film Festival - Human Dignity
- 2010 Film Festival - Psychiatry Ethics
- 2009 Film Festival - Eugenics: Science Fiction or Future Reality?
- 2008 Film Festival - End of Life issues
- 2007 Film Festival - Biological Kinship identity
- 2006 Film Festival - The ethics of transplantation and xenotransplantation
- 2005 Film Festival - The ethics of cloning
- 2018 Annual Conference - The Ethics of Creating Transhuman Persons
- 2017 Annual Conference - The Ethics of Surrogacy
- 2015 Annual Conference - Biomedical Research Ethics
- 2014 Annual Conference - Should we legalise Assisted Suicide
- 2013 Annual Conference - Principles of Conscientious Objections
- 2012 Annual Conference - What are the ethical issues regarding Care for the Elderly?
- 2011 Annual Conference - Retention of Human Tissue: Legal and Ethical Aspect
- 2010 Annual Conference - Am I a donor before I am dead?
- 2009 Annual Conference - Animal-Human hybrids
- 2008 Annual Conference - Human Dignity: What is it, and how should we respect it?
- 2007 Annual Conference - Do I belong to my family? Exploring ethical implications of biological relationships
- 2006 Annual Conference - To be or not to be? Exploring the ethical implications of embryo selection
- 2005 Annual Conference - Euthanasia - A good death?
- 2004 Annual Conference - Cloning and the Biotech Future