2008 Film Festival - End of Life issues
Date: November 2008
Location: Filmhouse, 88 Lothian Road, Edinburgh EH3 9BZ [ Map ]
Is euthanasia a good death? What is the difference between euthanasia and assisted suicide? Why has euthanasia been so much in the news lately? These are some of the questions which will be asked in this three-day film festival. The films being screened will all encourage reflection on the subject of assisted dying.
At the end of each screening a discussion will take place, with a panel of invited experts in bioethics, science, law, medicine and politics leading audience debate.
The festival is organised in partnership with: the Scottish Council on Human Bioethics, Filmhouse and the Edinburgh and South-East Scotland Branch of the British Association for the Advancement of Science.
In this season
Director: Jon Ronson
Country of origin and year: Britain 2008
Duration: 90 minutes
Certificate: Rated 12A
The Sea Inside (Mar adentro)
Director: Alejandro Amenábar
Country of origin and year: Spain/France/Italy 2004
Duration: 126 minutes
Certificate: Rated PG
Cast: Javier Bardem, Belén Rueda, Lola Dueñas, Mabel Rivera, Celso Bugallo. Spanish, Catalan and Galician with English subtitles
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
(Le Scaphandre et le papillon)
Director: Julian Schnabel
Country of origin and year: France/USA 2007
Duration: 112 minutes
Certificate: Rated 12A
Cast: Mathieu Amalric, Emmanuelle Seigner, Marie-Josée Croze, Anne Consigny, Patrick Chesnais. French and English with English subtitles
- 2015 Film Festival - Biomedical Research Ethics
- 2014 Film Festival - The Moral Status of the Embryo
- 2013 Film Festival - Cyborg Ethics
- 2012 Film Festival - NeuroEthics
- 2011 Film Festival - Human Dignity
- 2010 Film Festival - Psychiatry Ethics
- 2009 Film Festival - Eugenics: Science Fiction or Future Reality?
- 2008 Film Festival - End of Life issues
- 2007 Film Festival - Biological Kinship identity
- 2006 Film Festival - The ethics of transplantation and xenotransplantation
- 2005 Film Festival - The ethics of cloning
- 2015 Annual Conference - Biomedical Research Ethics
- Conference - Should we legalise Assisted Suicide
- 2013 Annual Conference - Principles of Conscientious Objections
- 2012 Annual Conference - What are the ethical issues regarding Care for the Elderly?
- 2011 Annual Conference - Retention of Human Tissue: Legal and Ethical Aspect
- 2010 Annual Conference - Am I a donor before I am dead?
- 2009 Annual Conference - Animal-Human hybrids
- 2008 Annual Conference - Human Dignity: What is it, and how should we respect it?
- 2007 Annual Conference - Do I belong to my family? Exploring ethical implications of biological relationships
- 2006 Annual Conference - To be or not to be? Exploring the ethical implications of embryo selection
- 2005 Annual Conference - Euthanasia - A good death?
- 2004 Annual Conference - Cloning and the Biotech Future